Saturday, February 8, 2014

Don't get too Nervous

So, um, uh, ya, k, alright... You're burning up, sweating everywhere on your body. But strangely you are cold as ice and starting to go numb. Your voice shakes, and you notice your whole body is too. In your mind you are screaming, "What is this? Why am is my body reacting like this? I'm trying so hard to not have a nervous break down, but my body is not helping in any way."


Ever feel like this kid when you get up in front of an audience? I'm sure this has happened to us more than once, but hopefully not as bad. You get so nervous that you can't even talk, and don't remember anything you say. Therefore, you start using those filler words. It's a terrible thing we humans do, but we can't help it.

I had a job interview this week and was so disappointed in myself because of how many times I said the word "um". But the good thing was, that I recognized it right off the bat and tried to stop it as best as I could.

My goal for this class it to be able to make it through an entire presentation without using filler words, as well as not getting nervous. I will do this by going up there in confidence, knowing that the audience wants me to do my best and that they care about what I say. I will do breathing exercises to relax myself. Then I will say a little prayer to help me remember what I need to say, because prayer always works.

Anyway, stop being a nervous wreck like this little kid and gain some confidence in yourself. Come prepared and you will do a good job. Find a way where you can get all the nervous feelings out, and you will do fine. Good luck everyone on your presentations!

5 comments:

  1. Filler words are the death of us. They come out of your mouth without even thinking. Filler words are like songs you can't get out of your head. You find yourself singing them in public, alone, and anywhere else when you really don't want to. Recognizing that you use them is the first step to overcoming the evils of the filler word. With effort and practice the filler word can be conquered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This video just made my day. I get nervous during presentations, but not as nervous as this kid. Since our class discussion this week, I have noticed many more of my "filler" words. Frankly I kinda annoy myself with the filler words but the only thing that matters is recognizing them and trying to fix them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! Oh Lexi. Your video was hilarious.
    I have also had the same problem in a job interview. It was not fun at all.
    Funny, as I was reading this, we received a phone call asking if we would give the prayer in church tomorrow. AHH! Praying in front of people always makes me nervous. Oh well! At least it gives me practice. Practice makes perfect! Just think of your job interview as practice. Next time, I'm sure you will do a lot better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually had several companions on my mission tell me I would sound more credible if I cut out the "um's". I didn't even realize I was doing it! It's a double lesson in being more confident as well as taking good feedback :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey I just wanted to say that your blog looks great. I like the beetle at the top of the page. Great font choice and everything. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete